Release date: June 1, 2020
In this release we’ve focused on calculated fields & task dependencies.
Date support in calculated fields
We’ve added the ability to work with dates and date fields when creating calculated fields:
- Math functions can now be used with date fields
- A new today() function can be used to provide a floating date
- A new DATE(year, month, day) function can be used to provide a fixed date
Introducing Three New Task Dependency Behaviors
The goal of this feature enhancement is to increase Shotgun customers’ ability to make plans that accurately reflect the way they work in their studios, such that they deliver projects on time.
Setting task dependencies is an important aspect of scheduling, and now in Shotgun you have four options to better plan your projects: the existing default finish-to-start and new finish-to-finish, start-to-start, and start-to-finish dependency modes.
Finish to start (FS) (existing behaviour)
In a finish-to-start dependency, the second task in the relationship can’t begin until the first task finishes. Example: (Foundations dug) FS (Concrete poured)
Finish to finish (FF)
Finish-to-finish dependencies don’t require that both tasks be completed simultaneously. They simply require that the first task be finished, in order for the second task to finish. Example: (Last chapter written) FF (Entire book written)
Start to start (SS)
Start-to-start dependencies don’t require that both tasks start at the same time. They simply require that the first task has begun, in order for the second task to begin. Example: (Project work started) SS (Project management activities started)
Start to finish (SF)
The second task can finish any time after the first task starts. Example: (New shift started) SF (Previous shift finished).
In this release these four task dependencies can be set on the Task Gantt by right clicking on two selected tasks and selecting Dependencies. They can also be set via the API, but not in the grid or Task Templates at this time.
- When importing timelogs with the Task field populated, only tasks linked to same entity as the timelog will be matched. [SG-15570]
- When importing notes with the Task field populated, only tasks linked to same entity as the note will be matched. [SG-17124]
- When choosing a field to use as an ID during import, that field will no longer change its values during the import process (switching case for example). [SG-2243]