Adding several time the same entity in a shot breakdown

Hi there,
We are planning on using the Shot entity field assets to get the asset breackdown list in several tools.

It seems it’s currently impossible to add several times the same asset in this field:

I guess multi entity fields are dictionnaries, as it’s impossible to use a calculate field to get them either:

‘assets’ type (Multi-Entity) is not supported in calculated fields. Currently supported types are (Calculated, Currency, Duration, Float, List, Number, Percent, Text)

Is there a way to link assets to a shot in a list, so that we can multiply the same entries?
Simply getting the asset name would be ok as long as user can only enter real Asset entities names

2 Likes

Hi @benwall,

Thanks for your message - the Assets field on the Shot entity will only allow you to populate Assets that already exist, as long as they don’t have “Create” permissions for Assets. When you try and populate an Asset that doesn’t exist, a little prompt asks if you want to create this Asset, but if you have permission turned off, it won’t let the user do this.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.20.48 PM

It is not possible, however, to have the same Asset listed more than once.

May I ask what your reason is for needing to add the same Asset multiple times? Are you trying to log the number of times that specific Asset was used in that Shot?

Cheers,
Beth

2 Likes

I am working on a tool which will build maya shot scenes from the ground up, based on shot assets list.
We may need to load several time an asset in the 3d scene (in my screenshot in first post, we would need the prop “ballon” twice for instance)

Is there any other way to easily list assets on a shot?

1 Like

It seems a possible way is to use Asset Shot Connections:

By adding an integer field “multiple”, users can chose how many times an asset is to be loaded in a shot.

While being really practical to use the API, It seems like a really convoluted way of listing things for users:
• They don’t get the information on the Shots page,
• They have to use several different pages to input very closely tied data
• They can’t easily copy paste their multiplicator

It would be way more quick and efficient for them to just list their assets in a Shot Field like ‘assets’, but which would be a list (as they would be able to populate this list with multiple instance of a same item).

Do you know of a better way?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hey Ben,

Connection Entities are definitely the way we’d recommend tracking something like multiple instances of a given Asset in a Shot. There are a couple of ways you could go about more quickly entering in how many instances of each across multiple Shots.

First Method

On your Shot detail page, ensure you’ve exposed your “Instances/Count/Quantity” field on the Assets tab. Then on your Shot page, enter into Detail view. There you can quickly switch between Shots and enter the quantities.

Second Method

This other method involves exposing a List page for the connection entity itself. To do this first navigate to your Site Preferences > Advanced > Enable List Pages for Connection Entity Types. In the text entry box there, add AssetShotConnection. Save your changes.

Navigate back to your Project and in your “Other” menu in the project nav you should see an “AssetShotConnection” page now available that looks like the screenshot below. Here I’ve grouped the connections by their Shot, and I can quickly go down the list entering in quantities of each Asset in each Shot.

Let us know how either option works for you!

2 Likes

I ended up using your second solution, and designed a page for users who do assets breakdown lists so that they can get both pannels side to side as widgets:

It would be awesome to be able to link or instanciate filters between the two widgets.

2 Likes

Great solution with the canvas widgets! I agree, a page-wide filter that could affect multiple widgets at once would be useful. You can send your ideas directly to the product team; this post explains how.

1 Like