ASCII problem

Hi there! It’s my first post here so hello to everyone. Unfortunaly i got problem with clonning configuration in webapp. When i try to clone any of configuration i get error: “TankError: Could not create file system structure: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0x97 in position 10: ordinal not in range(128)”

This same when i try to setup project configuration using another project. It start to process and then i get info:
" ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0x97 in position 10: ordinal not in range(128)"

Do anyone had similiar problem maybe?

3 Likes

Hi @Kemot welcome, and thanks for posting here!

We actually saw this come up the other day as well, I’m not sure we have a solution yet.
Please can I ask you to post a screenshot of your Shotgun Desktop about box?

3 Likes

Sure, here it is:
SG about

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I see actually that the case I was referring to as coming up the other day was your support ticket :stuck_out_tongue:.
I’ve taken a look at the support ticket, and it looks from the latest logs you’ve provided that there is likely a Unicode/special character somewhere in the “config” folder specifically.
Please could you zip up and attach the “config” folder to the support ticket so we can take a look.

Also whilst you’re waiting for us to look at it, I’d recommend taking a look through there your self, and seeing if there is anything that you can spot using a special character.

Undoubtedly though I would say this is a bug, and we should handle this better.

1 Like

Ok, i found the problem. It was caused by files copies, Windows add postfix “– kopia” at end of file name. The problem is with character “–” (you can add it by clicking alt + 0150 on numeric keyboard)
and it is non ASCII character. After removing all of those files, it start work ok :slight_smile:

Thank for help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mentioned this on @Kemot’s ticket, but for completeness: I’m going to run this by the engineering team and see if we can’t close this gap. Our general goal is to support unicode characters throughout the Shotgun ecosystem, but there are always new places that we find that don’t.

2 Likes