Can I sort the way groups appear on a page?

From my Shots page, I would like to group shots by Sequence but my Sequence groups aren’t showing up in order. I have a custom Order field on Sequence that I’m using to order my Sequences. Can I use that Order field to sort my groupings?

2 Likes

Why, yes, you can.

First, make note of the field code you’d like to sort by, along with the Entity name that field is on. You can look up the field code by right-clicking on the field header, then selecting “Configure field…”. You can copy and paste the field code from here. Or, you can always reference field codes via the fields page, if you have admin controls. From this example, that’s Sequence:sg_order.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.43.49 AM

Then, you’ll want to navigate to Site Preferences then to Advanced Preferences, and then to Custom sort field for entity groups:. This is where you’ll enter the Sequence:sg_order value you noted previously, and then save.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.57.13 AM

Now, from the Shots page, our groupings will appear in the right order: sorted by our Sequence order instead of alphabetically.

Before:
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.49.52 AM

After (with a simple page refresh):
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.55.04 AM

We can apply group sorting in other places too. For instance, I like my Tasks to be grouped by my Shots cut order instead of alphabetically. To set this up, just note the Cut Order field code on Shot: sg_cut_order, then add the entity [Shot]: Shot:sg_cut_order. Now, add that value to Custom sort field for entity groups: in advanced site preferences (like the steps above), save, and voila—when Tasks are grouped by Shots, the groups will appear in Cut Order.

4 Likes

Hi @shaynad ! Can be this done per page with artist permissions? for my custom pages? cause I don’t have permission to change anything in advanced. I just want to group my tasks per day, but also in reverse chronology order.

@macbeth sadly, not per page as this is a global setting. I can see how that would be useful though! Definitely pass your idea along to our product team here: ShotGrid | Production Tracking, Scheduling, Review, and Asset Management (submit an idea)

1 Like

Hey folks, I love this option and I use it all the time. However, is there a way to specify the sorting direction when using this approach? For example say I want to have a list of Assets grouped per Project, and have the newest Project (group) up top? That would typically be sorting by Date Created descending.
To do that, I think I’d need an entry like:

Project: created_at:desc

Is there any such option?

I might try a hacky solution like creating a Calculated Field that negates the value of created_at so as to make the “oldest” show have the “highest” numerical value. But being able to specify a sort-direction would be better.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello, if I want to group my tasks by pipeline step but having them ordered by sg_pipeline_order (new field created for pipeline steps) should I go task:sg_pipeline_order ? I have try a few times and it is not working for me.