Chat integrations

Hi,

Email and notes are great, but usually most of our comm volume is through a self hosted (security reasons) chat. Is there any good chat integrations out there, or maybe the Shotgun team thinking about something like that?

Thanks

3 Likes

Hey @Hristo_Velev - one of the PM has been looking into something possibly in this space. They’re on holiday till next week though, so hang tight.

In the meantime, I believe @kramester built a Slack bridge based on the Shotgun Event Daemon and posted about it on the Dev List awhile back. Maybe he could chime in here?

2 Likes

Slack is great, but an integration with an open source self hosted solution might fit security and budget conscious VFX studios better

1 Like

Hi @Hristo_Velev! We don’t have a direct integration on radar, although internally we’ve been playing around with tools like IFTTT and Zapier in conjunction with the upcoming webhooks feature to prototype some workflows. If you have security considerations that have driven you to an internally hosted chat solution though, those may not be applicable.

Like @johnny.duguid said, there was a posting on the dev list about an open source slack integration, which may be something you could use to integrate with a different chat system. The Shotgun side of that implementation would be reusable against another chat system as long as it offers an API similar enough to Slack.

7 Likes

Cool, we’ll keep an eye on this, thanks

2 Likes

We switched from Slack to Mattermost due to Slack’s pricing and lack of a local-install solution. We have had success with Mattermost’s API. As far as I know, SG webhooks are still not available for local-installs though, so you’d probably have to go with an event-daemon based system as @johnny.duguid mentioned. Mattermost still isn’t free, but it’s definitely less expensive than Slack.

1 Like

Cool, if you open source some of the stuff you build, would be great to check out. This is on the back burner for us, too many more important things to cook now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, nothing is free. There are three open-source apps I want to compare with, Mattermost, Riot/Element+Matrix, and Rocket.Chat, but shotgun has cost a lot, I want to find a solution that could instead email notification, but open-sourced, for free.

The RocketChat API is pretty much a straight ripoff of the Slack API anyway, so having to be Slack capable would be so easy to fork for RocketChat.