Client-side workflows in Shotgun

Hey everyone! :wave:t4:

I’ve seen a few posts (not many, but a few) regarding client-side (ie. production-side, show-side) usage of Shotgun. I knew you were out there! From what I’ve seen over the years (and even more recently), it’s a growing client base. Agree? I’m interested in learning more about what is working well and and not so well. Perspectives from both the client-side and vendor-side experience (ie. cases where vendors were given access to the client-side Shotgun site for shot lists and assignments, status submissions, media submissions, notes visibility, etc.).

Any killer features (available today) that is making the adoption of client-side Shotgun a no-brainer? And what’s missing to make this experience better all around for collaboration/engagement across the studio-client-vendor ecosystem? This is also a shout out to the companies (GPL, ReDesign) and freelance individuals (too many to list!) out there helping push this forward every single day. I know it can be a tough audience to crack into!

(Of course my first post ever would be about this topic)

Stephen

10 Likes

Great question, @Stephen—curious to see what comes up. Also, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Oh, I have a LOT to say about this! So much I don’t know where to start, honestly.

I’m a “perma-lancer” for a small-ish studio in Atlanta, and I am the resident Shotgun expert in terms of the front-end/producer & client side stuff. We use the client review site for some clients, and that’s sometimes worked great and other times been…not great. The main problem with Client Review is it’s lack of portal where they can keep track of what they’ve been sent to look at, from what I’ve seen. Using Client Review as the client means you either keep the tab open forever or lose track of what you commented on. We don’t use Shotgun in this way as much as we do the other option we have (outlined below).

On the other end of the spectrum, we are the vendor working on an animated show for a client but we control the Shotgun project. The client has custom access to our site - we set up a custom permissions group (or rather, the Super Awesome Support team set it up for us) that allows them full access so they can use Screening Room and other features and allows us to have a constantly flowing feedback process with them. The customization we made was that they can only see notes that are addressed to them, or on which they are copied - so while they might be able to look at a version in Shotgun, they can’t see our discussion on it. Once we loop them into a thread they can see it, or we start a separate note thread if we DON’T want them to see the prior discussion. It works really well for us on this project - every once in a while they might see something we haven’t sent them for approval yet & comment on it if they notice we’re heading in the wrong direction, but in general they wait for us to ask for comment.

I’ve never worked in the reverse - as a vendor with access to someone else’s project, so I’ll be interested to see how that works for people.

7 Likes

Hey @Stephen and @jlweiss!

Love this conversation. Client review has been a topic of discussion at Shotgun as of late, and we hear what clients are saying about the Client Review Site, what works, and what’s missing. While I don’t have an definitive update for you at this point, it is something that we are reviewing in full.

If you have any ideas you want us to know about for either client or vendor workflows in Shotgun, please pass them along through “Submit Idea” on the roadmap.

But perhaps more importantly, keep the conversation going here! I like it! I’m really excited to see what comes of these talks and what we can create together :rainbow:

Cheers,
Beth

4 Likes