Colaborative whiteboard

Hi guys,

Our people had the idea how cool it would be if we could have a collaborative whiteboard that we can design things in, and I’ve looked around - there are some nice solutions but most are either self hosted and too limited, or web hosted, which is a security risk. Adding a collaborative whiteboard to Shotgun would be a killer feature!

Thanks

12 Likes

I agree with you. Our concept artists brought up a feature request that is related to this. They would like to have an easy way for creating mood boards in Shotgun.

4 Likes

Hey Chris, great to see you here!

2 Likes

Great to see you too.

1 Like

Anyone else using Flix for storyboards?

We demo’d our custom scheduling system BigBoards at Siggraph 2017 which uses the same projectors + smart pens tech.

Once upon a time I had considered integrating Flix more tightly with Shotgun, like embedding it directly in a URL widget/page. But it didn’t really go anywhere due to Flix5 auth issues and not-really-an-API. Flix6 brings a really nice REST API but no longer has a web client, although it’d be possible to write one.

Anyways, that all might be overkill. I’ve heard there might be more annotation tools coming in the SG Overlay Player? Maybe those would be enough.

4 Likes

Wow that looks awesome!

2 Likes

+1 for a whiteboard or mood board feature.

We are using Miro currently (which is pretty cool if you haven’t looked at it), but we probably don’t need all of the bells and whistles it has. Just a simple way to put a bunch of various media together in one viewing space, with comments and notes.

All of the projects here are starting with lots of gathered references and concept art, but we are sort of stuck having to stay outside of Shotgun for this stage, even though eventually a lot of the same media would be applicable to the projects once inside Shotgun. So it is sort of forcing us to duplicate steps and data, which is unfortunate.

Thanks

4 Likes

Maybe we can add a port for Pinterest :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
That’s a very interesting idea! I’ll send this one along to our product team. Keep the conversation coming!

3 Likes

Thanks for passing it along, Beth. There already seems to be so many ways that Shotgun is able to be the ‘Hub’ for projects, with all of the integrations already available. It would be great to be able to expand that aspect further to incorporate this early pre-production step, which is fairly common with creative workgroups.

I can see how it could be a bit tricky to have something much less structured existing inside the SG environment, though.

3 Likes

I quadruple plus this. With the amount of reviews for outsourcing, we need a collaborative space where we can annotate, paste in imagery, type notes and export/shotgrid comments as PDF. We have very complex processes that need a cloud collaborative space with robust annotation tools with the ability to paste, attached to Tasks.

I feel like Shotgrid isn’t aware of tools outside their domain. There are some really nice tools that are more modern, like Click-up, Miro, Brandfolder, Sketchfab, etc. All of these have features that would be amazing in Shotgrid!

This would be huge!

Not using Flix. We use Boords.com, super flexible tools and clean design.

Has anyone embedded or integrated Miro Board into Shotgrid here?

Miro is great. From Miro, grab the embed code

take that URL and put it into a ShotGrid “URL” page

and you’re good to go. The board would need to be public, or your users would need to log into Miro to see the board in the SG iframe.

3 Likes

Thank you! Where is this “new view” that you are creating? Does it actually embed the visual board?

“New View” pops up when you create a new page or create a new page view (tab) in design mode. It works as an iframe, so using the embed URL from Miro will embed the Miro board into the iframe window on the ShotGrid page.

FYI, you can probably embed any of the other whiteboard options in a similar fashion, or any webpage, including google sheets, or your own private sites. Some sites do not allow their content to be displayed in an iframe, and will not work in an SG URL page.

1 Like

I will take this request to the next level with some future-facing innovative thinking. A whiteboard with features like MIRO, but be able to load in a live link to a 3D model from a location, and mark it up.

Lose all this uploading and downloading immediately obsolete images on a daily basis. It is a colossal amount of overhead.

Whoever implements this will win the game. SyncSketch is on the path, but not there yet.

1 Like

Check out SyncSketch, they have ShotGrid integration with the enterprise tier as well.

1 Like

Yeah. We have looked into this and tried it. It has a lot of overhead to get the models in, and no features like Miro. Plus it cant track massive amounts of assets. Ideally, we want something integrated into one system. Shotgrid/FTrack etc. have to find a way to markup 3d directly, not a 2d band-aid solution to represent 3d.

ShotGrid have a video from Siggraph 2018 where they showed them toying around with various ideas.

Not sure if they have something in the works in house but I would imagine with Autodesk being a big cloud player now that integrations like this will become available.

1 Like