Colaborative whiteboard

Hi guys,

Our people had the idea how cool it would be if we could have a collaborative whiteboard that we can design things in, and I’ve looked around - there are some nice solutions but most are either self hosted and too limited, or web hosted, which is a security risk. Adding a collaborative whiteboard to Shotgun would be a killer feature!

Thanks

11 Likes

I agree with you. Our concept artists brought up a feature request that is related to this. They would like to have an easy way for creating mood boards in Shotgun.

3 Likes

Hey Chris, great to see you here!

2 Likes

Great to see you too.

1 Like

Anyone else using Flix for storyboards?

We demo’d our custom scheduling system BigBoards at Siggraph 2017 which uses the same projectors + smart pens tech.

Once upon a time I had considered integrating Flix more tightly with Shotgun, like embedding it directly in a URL widget/page. But it didn’t really go anywhere due to Flix5 auth issues and not-really-an-API. Flix6 brings a really nice REST API but no longer has a web client, although it’d be possible to write one.

Anyways, that all might be overkill. I’ve heard there might be more annotation tools coming in the SG Overlay Player? Maybe those would be enough.

4 Likes

Wow that looks awesome!

2 Likes

+1 for a whiteboard or mood board feature.

We are using Miro currently (which is pretty cool if you haven’t looked at it), but we probably don’t need all of the bells and whistles it has. Just a simple way to put a bunch of various media together in one viewing space, with comments and notes.

All of the projects here are starting with lots of gathered references and concept art, but we are sort of stuck having to stay outside of Shotgun for this stage, even though eventually a lot of the same media would be applicable to the projects once inside Shotgun. So it is sort of forcing us to duplicate steps and data, which is unfortunate.

Thanks

3 Likes

Maybe we can add a port for Pinterest :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
That’s a very interesting idea! I’ll send this one along to our product team. Keep the conversation coming!

3 Likes

Thanks for passing it along, Beth. There already seems to be so many ways that Shotgun is able to be the ‘Hub’ for projects, with all of the integrations already available. It would be great to be able to expand that aspect further to incorporate this early pre-production step, which is fairly common with creative workgroups.

I can see how it could be a bit tricky to have something much less structured existing inside the SG environment, though.

2 Likes