Comparing all versions of shot

Hi all! Currently it seems that it is possible to compare only versions that are assigned to same task. Is this the current limitation or is there something else that prevents me from comparing versions?

Let’s say I have two versions, one for first layout and one for first comp. One is linked to layout task, another to comp task. In Create compare versions is not activated for this case, although both versions are for the same shot. It seems as if task is the main basis for review and comparison in Create and it prevents loading other versions. If I link both versions to same task, lets say comp in this case, I can compare them as intended.

7 Likes

Hi Hendrik -

Yes, currently in Create, you can only see versions in the same task. This limitation is there because we wanted to get the compare workflows in before expanding to workflows that include other versions, like the one you mentioned - which are critical to people in departments like Comp.

The nexts steps as we see them are:
• Compare versions in the same shot/asset
• Compare any versions between any shot/asset

We’re currently exploring what how workflows might work in Create, so if you have any requirements or ideas you’d like to share with us, we’d love to hear and incorporate them.

Sadly, I can’t put a time estimate on when these workflows will appear in Create, but we know you want them and we want to get them in there for you.

Warren

6 Likes

Thank you for clarification!

May I suggest to add this as a user configurable option (and a setting for default value) to choose, which versions are added in compare mode to switch between: same task, same pipeline step, same shot, any version (some kind of search functionality should be present here). Each has their own benefits for different workflows.

Also, I’d like to see an option to not use the reviewer field as a basis for review page in Create. Filling this in for every version is an overkill for some workflows. Please allow reviewing of everything if user wishes to do so. I’d suggest adding a more powerful filter to review page to sort what I see, something like SG web interface has for its pages.

3 Likes

This is an important feature for our production as well. I hope there are efforts to allow reviews and comparisons of different tasks within a shot, or sequence.

2 Likes

I’d echo this - the ability to compare different task videos is critical to our workflow as well, and this change would allow us to use shotgun create completely, instead of relying on competitors software

3 Likes

Hello @warren.trezevant,

I’m wondering if any progress has been made on the ability to view all tasks for an entity in Create. This would be extremely helpful for reviewers to be able to easily compare comp to animation, and animation to layout, and so on. It would also make designs easily accessible during a model or texture review.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, Steve! It turns out we just released a new build of Create that starts to add this capability. Where you see the version’s name at the top of the player is now a pull down menu where you can browse all versions on this task, but also click a back button to take you to a list of pipeline steps and choose another one to switch to those versions. This also works in the compare menu, as seen here:

Try it out and let us know what you think.

2 Likes

Dennis,

This is awesome, thank you! It’ll be very helpful.