Creating client reports from Shotgun project data

Hello,

At our studio, we often generate reports to send to clients, which include shot data relating to the delivery of the project. At present we query data on Shotgun and input it to an Excel sheet, either manually or via a script. We would very much like to automate this process and generate reports straight out of the Shotgun web app. Is there a way to do this and/or any best practices to go about it?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

3 Likes

I found this useful article: https://support.shotgunsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000092253-Designing-report-pages

Wondering if there’s any way to export a report page or share it externally?

3 Likes

Hey Viktor,

I am glad you found that doc. I was about to link it here as well.
The is a really good way how to create a customised visual overview to follow up on the project status and share the information.
You can design it as you wish, every graft is interactive and you can export/share them in different formats ( like PDF)

3 Likes

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your comment! Yeah, playing around with a visual design overview page now, it seems to be flexible enough for our purposes. How would you go about exporting/sharing these?

3 Likes

Hey,

So here is doc with videos and explanations how to customize and save the overview in different formats. :smiley:

Cheers,
Linda

3 Likes

@Linda thanks for the doc. It’s very useful, but I still cannot seem to find a way to export my entire page to PDF, as far as I can see the doc only refers to exporting graphs as images and other formats. Could you please specify if/how this can be done for the entire visually designed overview page? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey @viktor_petrov,

Yes, you’re correct, the export to .pdf is just for individual graphs. A cheeky hack if you want to make a .pdf of the whole page is to use the browser print option and save as a .pdf.

4 Likes

@DavidMason thanks for chiming in. Right, I figured I could do that, but as you say it’s hacky and not ideal since users would have to manually select the printable area as default printing from the browser includes the Shotgun header with all the different navigation pages. Also, some graphs disappear this way…

It would be ideal to just have an export button on visually designed overview pages so these can be easily exported as PDFs. I’ve submitted this as a request to the Shotgun road map - hope it’s simple enough to implement soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Victor,

Yep, it is not the smoothest way at the moment, but at least there is a workaround. So thank you for submitting it to the roadmap and our team will surely consider it :slight_smile:

Stay safe and happy Friday!

2 Likes