On November 30th, 2020, we will discontinue upgrades of Shotgun Enterprise Classic for on-premise clients (local install).
Why are we doing this?
The date was chosen to coincide with CentOS 6 end-of-lifetime (EOL), which is the OS on which Enterprise Classic is running. Clients would need to update to CentOS 7 in order to continue to receive OS updates, which would require reinstalling Shotgun Enterprise. We believe this is the perfect opportunity for our clients to migrate to Shotgun Hosted or Shotgun Enterprise Docker.
The Shotgun Hosted offering has evolved drastically in the last couple of years. Reasons that initially prompted a decision to run Shotgun on-premise may no longer be valid. If you are currently running on Shotgun Enterprise Classic, we greatly encourage you to reach out to our support team and initiate discussions about migrating to Shotgun Hosted. Shotgun Hosted recent improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Infrastructure fully hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Delivered according to Autodesk’s Cloud Services standards for reliability and customer data privacy control (see Shotgun Security White Paper for more details)
- 99.98% uptime last year, including maintenance windows
- Performance that is on-par or better than on-premise
- Ephemeral compute and per-client data segregation
- Access to scalable peripheral services like Transcoding, Event Pipeline, and Webhooks
- Managed infrastructure, continuous updates, continuous monitoring, and preemptive personalized performance optimizations
Shotgun Private Cloud
Shotgun Private Cloud is our latest offering that allows clients to satisfy the most stringent security and privacy requirements. Shotgun Private Cloud shares many characteristics and components with our Standard Hosted offering, and additionally offers:
- Client-owned and managed media storage in client-owned AWS S3 Bucket
- Web and media traffic isolation
With Shotgun Private Cloud, studios can work on highly sensitive content while using our Hosted Solution.
Shotgun Enterprise Docker
Shotgun Enterprise Docker is the latest version of our Shotgun Enterprise offering. Shotgun Enterprise Docker significantly improves the installation process and eases IT management, allowing studios to manage their own Shotgun clusters and control their upgrade schedule.
Migrating to Shotgun Enterprise Docker from Classic can be done almost without downtime, as application servers on Docker and Classic can run side-by-side, allowing for updates on the fly.
Will Autodesk continue to support clients on the Classic offering?
Yes, we will continue to support clients. However, clients will be urged to migrate to Docker as soon as possible.
I need to migrate to Hosted or Enterprise Docker, where do I start?
Start by opening a ticket on Shotgun Support. Our support staff will guide you through the next steps and help you through the process. In the meanwhile, you can start familiarizing yourself with the procedure by reading the following articles. If you do not have access to these pages, please open a Support ticket to let us know: