Export H264 Package for RV

Export H264 Package - RV Developer Example Series

In this example, we expose how to create your own Export menu that will use internal events to process RVIO commands within RV. This could be useful if you want to create your own export options that RV doesn’t support or if you’d like to know how to use RVIO from within RV without having to explicitly subprocess the rvio command. One of the benefits of calling RVIO this way is that you’re utilizing the internal RV export utils, which means that you’ll get a super nice progress bar while export is happening. The downside is that the package is pretty complicated.

About this series:

Over the years, I’ve made a number of packages for myself, developers looking get get around a roadblock, or to just reproduce/validate a bug.

While the packages in this series aren’t intended to be fully finished forms of art, they all have some sort of value that I’d like to pass along. You will likely find problems, bugs, and/or things that could be optimized, but the purpose here is to share formulas and recipes to help expose what you can do with RV. I hope this series proves valuable, and I encourage you to share your own packages (assuming you have permission to share them to the public).

If you are new to writing RV packages, also check this out: How do I write my first package in RV?

What does this package do?

This package demonstrates how to create your own Export menus, as well as how you can use RVIO from inside a package without having to explicitly subprocess it.

What can we learn from this package?

In this package, you should be able to have the following takeaways:

• How to handle internal events from your regular event handling
  • How to evaluate chunks of Mu code from Python.
  • How to utilize the mu-based progress bar from Python.
  • How to extend existing Menus in RV.

The Package

To install this package, go to RV>Preferences>Packages , then click the Add Package... button. Open the package file, choose your install location, and then make sure both check boxes are checked on the package in the list.
Example_Package_H264Exporter-1.0.rvpkg (1.5 KB)

For help on installing packages, check out the package installation portion of the user manual, here

How to Use

After you load the package above, add a test file, then go to File -> Export -> H264 Movie...

1 Like

This is supercool, but what I can’t manage is to do a series of exports like in export_cuts.mu

I can loop the export but this fires up all exports at once and does only utilize the progress bar for the last export that was started…