First source load takes far longer than subsequent loads

Using RV 7.6.1 (also confirmed this happens with RV-2021) Windows 10 b19041.472 with RTX 2080 (Driver 27.21.14.5206), I am finding that the first image load is far longer than on other OSes. It is taking multiple seconds (in my profile, almost 12 seconds) from drag-drop to first pixel. It doesn’t seem to matter what image size is loaded; I’ve tried UHD and 1080p.

You can see almost the entire time period is spent in internalRender

@bernie/@alexaz, is this potentially the image buffer creation? Is there anyway to debug this further or gather metrics for you, and is this reproducible on your side?

Thanks,
-Kessler

Also, importantly to this community, is anyone else seeing this? If you can try out the -debug profile to generate a profile and use rvprof to view the profile, that would give some metrics as to how long you are seeing without a stopwatch…

Hey Mike,

Is this for EXRs specifically or another format?

– Alexa

Great question, it seems to be format independent, but my profiled test was a sequence of jpegs. I’ll validate with profiling on a variety of formats.

Hey Kessler,
on my end I get 1.7 sec on the first render of a first drag and drop of a file sequence (approx 400 files) (less than 2 seconds). I tested both exr and jpg file sequences and the first render is constant.
Running RV 2021 on Windows10 with NVidia Quadro P5000.
12 seconds is a long time !
I wonder what is the variable that makes RV tick : is it the RTX 2080 ?
Have you tried -resetPrefs just in case there is some RV setting that is causing this ?
Does it matter where the files are located ?
Can you try dragging and dropping the files from a different directory with less files in them ?

Bernie