It'd be awesome If: we had relative bulk editing

Hi all, by “relative bulk editing” I mean the ability to select multiple entities, and edit a field on all of them relative to their (or other fields’) current value. Like the calculated field but as a one-off operation.
E.g.: edit all “sg_path_to_frames_companyA” to be “sg_path_to_frames” but with the a a certain sub string replaced.
Or edit all the numbers in field A to be “field B + field C”
etc.

Currently I have to all this via python which is easy enough but it makes me the bottle neck for such things.
EDIT: I am also aware of the round trip through a spreadsheet editor which is also a powerful way to do this, but takes way longer than having something at hand.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
frank

3 Likes

Hey Frank!
I’d be interested in hearing about specific use-cases you had, and how often you find yourself wanting this functionality. As you mention, it’s straight-forward to export a csv out of Shotgun, and Excel (and other spreadsheet software) offer powerful and flexible editing for most data types.
Cheers,

Mason.

3 Likes

Aaaah you got me :smiley:
I don’t need to do this very often, but every time I do I wish I didn’t have to go through the round trip. Having said that, there is something to be said for not reinventing the wheel I guess.
Will shut up and use spreadsheets… :grimacing:

2 Likes