Native Maya Playblast Integration

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating the Shotgun Toolkit on a vanilla project, i.e. without any of our pipeline bits, and I was wondering if there were any plan for a native Maya Playblast? It seems like being able to playblast things from Maya is a core feature.

I have been playing with https://github.com/basestudio/tk-maya-playblast but having it to work with the latest and greatest from the Toolkit is more challenging than it should be and the repo has not been updated in a while.

Cheers,

Thomas

4 Likes

Hi Thomas

Welcome to the forums!
The publish app will offer to upload any playblasts you have created on your project:

Is this what you’re looking for?

Thanks
Phil

4 Likes

Hi @philip.scadding,

Thanks!

I was looking at something that will create and push it automatically. I will try the Publish tool, it might actually be a good compromise. tk-maya-playblast does not offer description support out of the box for example.

Cheers,

Thomas

2 Likes

Was looking at the exact same app that I’ve used in other places. Trying to implement it in the current version of shotgun I was also unable to make it work. My main problem with the publisher route is that it’s too easy to publish other settings too, people will forget to uncheck the other publishes.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted the suggestion to our product team!

3 Likes

I would add that in general the tk-config2 default publishing method is sometimes flawed.

In nuke for example it will only want to publish writes while you should be able to publish reads (makes more sense), and they shouldnt have to match the script version.
It makes it impossible to render an element in the script and individually publish that.
If the version mismatches, you need to re-render.

I’ve created a new publisher for Nuke with some Nuke panels.
The most basic thing it does it that it doesnt care too much about template paths.
It just makes sure the render is in the work folder and then changes “work” to “publish”.

1 Like