Note Attachment display

Hi there,

we are currently dealing with loads of Notes on our Shots, and we would like to know at a glance when one given Note has an attached file or not.
Right now we have to click on every Note in our Shots ‘Open Notes’ field so it pops and then we can look for an attachment; which is a bit tedious.
Would there be a possibility to display the Open Notes’ attachment in Shots page? or at least change the Notes Icon or something when they have a file attached?

Did any of you have to deal with such a demand?

Best Regards,
Francois

4 Likes

@François_Touvet,

A couple of ideas come to mind.

1. Within the Open Notes popup, you can add the Attachments field to get a glance of annotations/attachments from there. You can wrap the text to see multiple attachments per note.

1. You can create a query field on Shots that returns the number of attachments to a note that is linked to the Shot. This will give you a glance of attachments from a Shots page and you can view them via the poop-up (instead of having to open the Open Notes pop-up).

Do any of these options help?

Cheers,
Shayna

4 Likes

Hi Shayna,

it certainly solves a part of the problem by limiting the amount of manipulations; I will propose the first solution to my team.
Nevertheless it would still be really cool to have the possibility to know when a Note has an attachment without having to dig into it, through an icon, a text color change or - better- a display.

Best Regards,
Francois

4 Likes

Hi @François_Touvet,

Let us know how it goes.

You have a great idea to have some kind of indicator to quickly tell if there’s an attachment without having to dig in on the Shot level. I definitely encourage you to add your idea to product board for our product team to consider:

Cheers,
Shayna

2 Likes

hi @shaynad thanks for the info here, sorry to jump in on the post, but how do you setup open notes popup window like in your sample images here? My Open Notes shows a link in the field and I can hover over it and it will show the notes but your example shows a popup window with some useful information for us to customize. Please advise. Thanks!

3 Likes

@nmintrasak, thanks for posting your question here! I have a suspicion that you may be showing the Open Notes field, but you’ll want to show the Open Notes Count field to get the pop-up window functionality:

Did that do the trick?

4 Likes

that was it! thank you!
(we are new to shotgun here, thanks for the tip)

3 Likes

No problem! Glad that was it and welcome to the Shotgun fam, @nmintrasak :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Shayna,

I’m trying to implement option 2 from your post (A “File” type query displaying file count) I’m noticing that some things may have changed since you posted this. For instance when setting up the query, the file entity does not have a “notes” type entity within the “Links” linked field. Instead it lists “notes” as its own linked field. This is strange because “Notes” is not a field that exists on the File entity. Instead, notes are linked in the “Links” field. When testing out the “Notes” configuration, I’m unable to produce the results you’ve shown above.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.52.42 PM

1 Like

Hi @DavidA , I think you need to go a couple levels deeper. So from your Shots page, creating the query field, select: Links > Note > Links:

Then, your query should look like this:

Does this help get you there?

Hey Shayna!

Thanks for replying! If you look at my second image you can see that my “Links” options are more limited than yours. I’ve only got 5 Entity Types listed. Maybe our version of shotgrid doesn’t have the same features as your version?

1 Like

@DavidA , I see. Thanks for mentioning that (again). I really can’t tell without digging into your site. Can you submit a new request to support and they can dig in? It would be good to get to the bottom of this. It’s all fixable!

Will do! I’m glad to know something like this is possible! This article has already been super helpful!!

Thanks Shayna!

1 Like

No problem, please keep us posted as to the outcome! :blush:

Support was able to get this working for me. Even though shotgrid automatically links notes via the File entity “Link” field, I still needed to configure that field so that it accepts notes in order to use linked notes in a query. See below for the field configuration.

2 Likes

Ah-ha! Thanks so much for sharing the outcome, @DavidA ! Glad to hear it’s working now too.