Nuke Add Widget on New File

Hi, please let know how to get popup / qt widget with an option box of 4 names when New File is clicked in Nuke. Idea is to change the name (add sub_category as part of the filename) of the new file based on the option selected.

Please guide on the same. Thanks

A workaround is also okay if we can get option box in File Save panel.

Hi Ankur –

Unfortunately this is not feasible without forking tk-multi-workfiles2. The only place we support such a thing is the with file extensions for Maya (ie, you get a dropdown in the Shotgun -> File Save dialog where you can choose .ma or .mb), but it’s not something we support generically.

One idea (this is admittedly hacky) would be to use custom actions in the Shotgun Panel to allow artists to set this option as a field value in Shotgun, then in your templates, refer back to this field.

I wonder if it would make sense for Workfiles2 to have a feature where, if there is a key in your template that has choices, it creates a dropdown in the File Save dialog that gives the user an opportunity to choose…

1 Like

Hi Tannaz,
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
Shotgun Panel way sounds good, but chances are there that artist might miss it and the leads are not happy with that.
Like you said, it would be great if there is a connection from templates “choices” setting directly to engine File Save UI as a dropdown box.

Also, was thinking if I can launch a custom Nuke Panel, when File Save window is launched or Save button is clicked in File Save Window, that gives the options, and the value of that could be passed back to Shotgun say as {name} so it plugs back to the template. Please let know if this made any sense.
If yes, please let know the right file to ingest this custom UI.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey Ankur –

We haven’t tested it, but I imagine you could take over this part of the scene_operations hook:

The path is already provided by this point, but you could deconstruct the path back into keys, throw up your UI to provide a name option, then rebuild the path and save.

For the deconstruction of the path, you could use the get_fields() method:
https://developer.shotgunsoftware.com/tk-core/core.html#sgtk.Template.get_fields

Hope that helps!

4 Likes