Overlay Package for RV

Overlay Package - RV Developer Example Series

In this example, you can build your own overlay elements similar to the info overlay.

About this series:

Over the years, I’ve made a number of packages for myself, developers looking get get around a roadblock, or to just reproduce/validate a bug.

While the packages in this series aren’t intended to be fully finished forms of art, they all have some sort of value that I’d like to pass along. You will likely find problems, bugs, and/or things that could be optimized, but the purpose here is to share formulas and recipes to help expose what you can do with RV. I hope this series proves valuable, and I encourage you to share your own packages (assuming you have permission to share them to the public).

If you are new to writing RV packages, also check this out: How do I write my first package in RV?

What does this package do?

This package is adapted from the Shotgun Info overlay as found in Screening Room/Shotgun Integration. It provides a bootstrap for developers wanting to create their own Key/Value overlay that is movable and can be dismissed with a close button.

What can we learn from this package?

In this package, you should be able to have the following takeaways:

• How to build a Mu package that displays an on-screen overlay.
  • How to interface with the special render() event. (Also see here)
  • How to subclass from the built in “Widget” type. (Also see here)
  • Use of the PACKAGE file menu for delayed loading and active toggling of a mode.

The Package

To install this package, go to RV>Preferences>Packages , then click the Add Package... button. Open the package file, choose your install location, and then make sure both check boxes are checked on the package in the list.
Example_Package_Overlay-1.0.rvpkg (1.8 KB)

For help on installing packages, check out the package installation portion of the user manual, here .

Share your Overlay Packages!

If you feel you’ve got something others would like to use, feel free to make a forum post and share what you’ve made (assuming you have permission to do so).

7 Likes