Overlay player not working for movs with audio (Centos 7)

Hi all,

we recently started adding audio to our SG movs which made the overlay player stop working for me. It shows the first frame but also an error saying one or more clips can’t be loaded:

I do have PulseAudio diabled as it interferes with Hiero.
Does anybody know how to work around this and still be able to play the video?
It’s a major road block for me right now and I’m no linux expert.

Cheers,
frank

2 Likes

Hi @frank,

Sorry for the troubles here. Could you please submit it as request to support@shotgunsoftware.com with all the details? Like link to the version which having issue here, audio format etc. We could better track it down there.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

I have done that (#110057), but since no existing issue exists I figured it may be my linux setup and the community may be able to help better in case somebody had experienced this before

3 Likes

Awesome. Yay, let’s see we could leverage some wisdom here.

1 Like

Are you sure the culprit is centos and not the source mov?

A long shot - but I had vaguely similar problem with the overlay player when the source mov had an audio track longer than the video track. Overlay player seems to use the audio track length to determine the play length, while other players like RV use the video track length. Could it be that your audio track is much shorter than your video track?

2 Likes

Thanks Luke,

I checked and the audio file is the same duration as the exr sequence at the correct frame rate, so that does not seem to be the culprit.
The ProRes quicktime is rendered through a very simple Nuke template btw in case that has any impact.
The movs in question (the Shotgun ones that are transcoded from the uploaded ProRes) work just fine on OSX and windows, just not on linux.

1 Like

This might be a dumb question, but when I was still in production, Linux boxes always had an issue with who was running the audio process. If a user was logged in (or previously logged in) and launched audio, the process was running under that user. When another user logs in, audio wouldn’t play because it’s already running by someone else. I can’t remember the command to kill and restart it. Have you double checked that you have audio is playing back from other websites?

1 Like

Thanks @tram
I don’t use audio on my machine and since Pulse causes trouble with Hiero I deactivated that as well. Maybe that is causing issues? I just need to be able to watch the video, and don’t care about hearing the audio.
I’m the only one using the box so no other user has been logged in.

1 Like

Hm, if you have audio coming from other websites, but not Shotgun, then it maybe it’s Shotgun specific. But if audio isn’t coming from other sites like say, YouTube, it sounds like it could be related to those audio drivers. I’d check other sites first. If you don’t get audio at all on any site, maybe try to re-enable PulseAudio and reboot the machine (for good measure)?

1 Like

Update:
After a restart PulseAudio was active again and everything worked.
I then killed pulse again (due to it’s adverse effect on Hiero), and so far the overlay player is still happy.
With a bit of luck it was just a glitch that the restart fixed in some way.

2 Likes

:ghost: in the :computer: I say!

So glad to hear things worked out! Keep us posted if anything changes :slight_smile:

1 Like