Overlay Player on Mobile

Know issue from post 2015. The Overlay Player keeps loading on mobile devices.
The previous post refers to using the client review app but this is not sufficient for production use as it is build for clients to review.
As all other functionality works perfect, can we have a look at fixing or having an alternative Overlay Player when loading the mobile webpage?

Cheers,
Bert

Hi Bert,

Welcome to the forums!

Can you let us know what OS and Browser you are using on Mobile?

I’ve just tested Chrome on my Android and the overlay player works as expected.

Please note that the overlay player on Safari has a bug which is out of our control and we caveat that we don’t support the overlay player for safari, check out the doc below.

Also to note, I believe that other web browsers on IOS are built upon Safari, due to Apple restrictions, even Chrome, so you may experience the same issue with a non safari browser on an IOS environment, more details in this Arstechnica post.

1 Like

Hi David,

As you said this was working for you on Android I`ve been wondering what else could at the base for this problem that this is not working for me.

First of all I think I`ve been wrongly naming the problem. From what I understand now is that the “Overlay Player” is the small preview on the thumbnail that plays on the shot page and not the actual version player when you would click on that thumbnail.

The problem I have been having it that the actual version doesn`t play. It keeps loading on this screen… (Only on IOS mobile devices.)

When looking further into this my idea is now that mobile IOS devices have problems with the WebM codec SG is doing an automatic conversion to.

Am I correct when stating that this video I`m trying to play here is WebM codec since we do not do local transcoding?

We are running a second SG instance were we are doing our pipeline development on. Is it an option to just switch to MP4 format on that account for testing? Or would it be an idea to switch to local transcoding so we can test if the codec is the reason for our problems?

Thanks for the followup,

Bert

Hey Bert,

Sorry for the long delay, I’ve been off on holidays. As for the transcoding, the global transcoder creates 2 files, a .mp4 and a .webm. Depending on the browser it will use the one that it prefers. By default, both are created.

Are you seeing the same issue on a non IOS device?

1 Like

Hi David,

No problem! Hope you had good holidays.

We did indeed check this on a Microsoft surface tablet and discovered that here it was working fine.

I did find online that IOS (mobile) devices still do have problems with .webm files. Therefore I was hoping that simply changing to .mp4 files would solve this problem.

Hope this information helps you, if you would like us to test something please do send along. We have a development shotgun instance where we can do our pipeline tests.

Kind regards,

Bert

1 Like

Hey Bert,

One thing you could try is to remove either the mp4 or webm from a version and see if it plays? Let me know your site URL and I’ll make the fields that the 2 files are stored in visible in your webbUI

1 Like