Python 3 support for Toolkit

Hi everyone,

If you’ve subscribed to our Toolkit Components Release page (and if you haven’t, you totally should!), you’ve probably noticed that we’ve released a series of updates this morning to multiple packages to make them compatible with Python 3.

You should now be able to use the Toolkit Core and our frameworks in a DCC that runs Python 3. Over the next few months, the industry will come out with public previews of Python 3 support for certain products and you’ll be able to test Toolkit applications with them. We’re not done yet, as our heavier applications like the loader, publisher, panel and workfiles are not ported yet, but they will be in due time.

This is a great first step, as it provides all the necessary building blocks to write Toolkit applications or an engine running on top of Python 3. If anyone is planning on writing a Blender integration, let us know in the comments. :smile:

There will be many more updates to our apps like these coming in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

Cheers,

JF

4 Likes

On the Blender front, now that we support Python 3, I would love to see support for Blender happen. We have it on our backlog, but it is currently a ways down. With the surge in community developed engines that has been happening this year (thank you to our awesome devs!), I’d love to talk with anybody from the Blender community who is interested in developing the integration. We’re happy to provide Toolkit guidance to support the effort (if needed).

1 Like

This is super cool, thanks for the effort porting the api, frameworks and tk-core to Python3.
Knowing that tk-apps are next in line is very encouraging, I have some tk-engine experiments for a few DCC apps that are only python3 friendly that will become a lot easier to handle!

2 Likes