RV 7.9 begins path towards deprecation of ‘Shotgun Review for RV’

With the release of RV 7.9, we’re starting to migrate users off ‘Shotgun Review for RV’, as we plan to deprecate ‘Shotgun Review for RV’ in the next release.

This will be the only opportunity to ensure your workflows successfully transfer before the deprecation happens in the next release of RV.

The good news is we’re relocating the key workflows in ‘Shotgun Review for RV’ (Cuts, Cut Ingest, and the Python Console) to other parts of the review ecosystem, so teams can successfully continue to use the workflows they’re accustomed to.

To help ensure a successful migration, we’re inviting current users of ‘Shotgun Review for RV’ to test and transition to the new arrangement (Note: Both RV 7.9 and Shotgun 8.16 (released August 18th) are required).

If your studio is a current user of ‘Shotgun Review for RV’ and are interested in testing the new arrangement, please reach out to our support team at support@shotgunsoftware.com and we’ll be happy to help get you going.

As part of this deprecation of ‘Shotgun Review for RV’ and the migration of the workflows, the ‘SG Review package’ in RV will not get a Python 3 port.

6 Likes

Hi Warren,

Does this refer to “open in RV” feature from media or version for example? Is this what will be deprecate?
What will be the default reviewing workflow from web interface then?

I’m asking because since RV 2021.0.0, open in RV stop working with our setup. But on the other hand, screening room works perfectly.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hello Kevin,

The SG Review deprecation only refers to the SG Review python based package that was available in RV. With the aim of keeping things simple, we have decided to converge to a unique workflow based around screening room.

This means that the YES option for the ‘Shotgun Site Pref/Shotgun Review/Enable Shotgun Review for RV’ is now deprecated. NO is the way to go for this option now: which means screening room is used both in RV and on the web.

The ‘Play in RV’ option when you right-click from Shotgun/Media should still work in RV 2021.0.0.
If it has stopped working for you then this is a bug for sure. Please let us know how we can reproduce it.

Thanks,

Bernie

1 Like

Hi Bernie,

Ok. Thank you for the details.

@warren.trezevant @bernie
I keep seeing mentions of Cuts, Cut Ingest, and the Python Console being moved to “other parts of the ecosystem” but I am having trouble finding any up-to-date documentation or articles explaining the specifics of that.

I’m particularly interested in dealing with Cuts and Cut Ingest and don’t want to move forward with something that’s being deprecated.

1 Like

MASSIVE +1

So as I understand from my testing we need to be invited to this “new arrangement” otherwise Play in Cut functionality in RV will just not work anymore, even if I launch RV 7.8?

Hi, I’ll try and wrap together answers to each part of this thread in one response.

As Bernie mentioned this work has only affected the SG Review Package for RV . There were two unique packages in RV creating an integration with SG. The biggest difference aside from UI was the support of cuts in SG Review which Screening room did not have. We took steps to combine these two into one unique package.

When we did this, the Cut Import App (“Cut Ingest”) and the Python Console were affected as they were both a part of the SG Review package even though they are distinct experiences. So we moved them out of the package so that users have access to them from RV directly.

The cut import app is here:

The Python Console is here:

Regarding the comments on documentation. It is definitely on our radar that as we make these changes the documentation is growing out of date. We are working on updating these as quickly as we can.

Last @Ricardo_Musch , The SG Review package was deprecated, meaning yes it’s no longer supported across all versions of RV. For users wanting the cut feature, upgrading to either 7.9.x or the latest build 2021 will enable this feature in the Screening Room integration. There is no invite needed at this point.

Hope this helps clear up the questions!

Cheers,

Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

but still RV 2021 has no options to play a version in the cut nor does it correctly respond to “Play in Screening Room for RV” from the Media Cuts page in Shotgun.

That simply opens RV for me on the last playlist I had open.

(And I have uninstalled all RV’s and reinstalled 2021 fresh)

Also The Shotgun menu “Play in RV” is grey and states "RV won't properly play cuts if 'Shotgun Review for RV' is disabled" .

4 Likes

BumpyDyBumpBump…

We still haven’t had answer to our Ticket nor this post…

So… We cannot use the Play in Cut Functionality in RV and we don’t know why…

3 Likes

I would also really like to know what is going on here. Have you heard anything on your tickets @Ricardo_Musch?

2 Likes

I haven’t looked into thsi recently but I seem to see clients using the cut playback in newer rv versions so not sure?