RV on Big Sur Crashing?

I’m running into RV crashing quite a bit on a Mac Pro with Big Sur. RV Version: 2021.0.1

When launching RV the console also has this error listed:

ERROR: > has active key-value observers (KVO)! These will stop working now that the window is recreated, and will result in exceptions when the observers are removed. Break in QCocoaWindow::recreateWindowIfNeeded to debug.

I appreciate any insight into resolving this.

1 Like

Hi @dschwarz ,

You can safely ignore this error. It comes from Qt, a framework we use to build RV, and it’s a false positive (or false negative? I never really know). In a future version of the framework, they just remove the error message and a future version of RV should have the fix.

Did you noticed any other issues than the error message with RV running on MacOS Big Sur?

Thanks!
Kerby

1 Like

Well, I have it running on a few Big Sur systems pretty successfully. But on this one it’s crashing a few times a day. Looking at the crash logs I can’t tell what’s going on. And when the crash happens is pretty much when it’s playing back media from the server. It’s so hard to tell what could be the issue. I’ve attached the crash logs if anyone can gleam any info from them.

(upload://lLixTukAmKrMyneyF85SxcPKdt7.pdf) (268.9 KB) RV Crash 1.pdf (274.5 KB)

Are all the plugins on the machines the same?

One hint is that it seems to be crashing deep into a setFrame response. Mu is entered from the event propogation from setFrame (see stack trace 25/26).

Looking at the Mu code, I’m seeing Sync, WindowTitle, Shotgun Review App (screening room), Shogun Mode (base sg integration) all responding to that event.

1 Like

Yes, it appears to be that it is crashing always in SG Review and while RV is in Present mode using a Black Design card for presenting.

So far I’ve been able to get it to crash while either playing media from Shotgun Review browse or form the website with a right click “Open in RV”. It seems pretty random when it happens.

1 Like

Hi @dschwarz,
Can you try switching the Presentation mode to another connected monitor to see if you still crashing ?
Let me know please !

Thanks!
Sylvain

1 Like

Hi dschwarz,

We are currently working to support RV on Big Sur. And this error is a known issue.

Cheers,
Sylvain

1 Like

Hi dschwarz,

We believe the cause of the crash might be related to some custom Plugin written in MU.
Can you please disable the plugin and try again the same workflow to see if the problem is reproducible ?
Also what Black Magic card you have in your system ?

Thanks,
Sylvain

Thanks!
I’m using a Mac Pro with TB2 to an external AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box with a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K PCIe Playback Card, 6G-SDI.
I’m not aware of a custom plugin. What makes you think there is one enabled? Something in the log?

So I’ve disabled all of the plugins except for “Screening Room for RV” and “Shotgun Integration” and we’ll see if it is anymore stable. I’ll report back after a few days of use.

Hi,

How does RV behaves after disabling some packages in the Preferences ?
Regards,

Sylvain

Still getting crashes but seems to mostly happen when launching a video/s from Shotgun browser (Chrome). I have RV set to play the path to movie which are DNxHD.

Hi,
Did you get the crash with Previous OS also or it’s new with Big Sur ?
Regards,
Sylvain

Hi dschwarz,

I have talked with Dev and he think the cause is different from the one previously.
Can you send us please the RV crash error file and also if it’s possible the DNxHD media ?
Does this happens only on a specific media or on many more ?

Regards,
Sylvain

1 Like

Hello! I was hoping the new version would resolve it but unfortunately not.

I’ve attached some new crash logs and a link to download a DNxHR sample.

DNxHR sample
RV CRashes.zip (147.8 KB)

Hello Don,

I apologize for the late reply. We would really like to get to the bottom of this issue you are having.
I have tried to reproduce your issue thanks to the media you made available to us and I also have a Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro card in my system. But so far I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. Is the crash occurring when you do a ‘Play in RV’ from your Shotgun site ?
There is a new RV 2021.0.3 pre-release build available on feedback.autodesk.com.
When you get the chance, if you could give it a go that would be great.

Thanks!

Bernie

Thanks Bernie! With the new version I feel it’s pretty stable now. I wanted to run it for awhile before replying. Cheers!