RV retime

I would like to be able to match a retime curve from flame or nuke. I was thinking I could write a text file using python with frame numbers per line and the retimed frame number next to it. Then I was hoping there would be some way in RV to read this text file and retime the clip based on the retimed frame numbers.

Is this possible (with this method or any other method)?

2 Likes

Hi @Mike_B,

Welcome to the community! AFAIK in Vanilla RV, retimes are linear mulitpiers and offsets, not really an ability to have a ramped/curved retime.

There may be options with an RV package, checking with the team on that.

-David

3 Likes

Hi @Mike_B,

While it would take a little bit of programming, if you are able to write every frame number output, you can use the explicit offset mode of the RVRetime node.

With the following properties, you can accomplish what I think you are trying to achieve:
explicit.active
explicit.firstOutputFrame
explicit.inputFrames

You can insert a retiming node in your graph, or if you want to affect it for a single view, you can modify an existing one in the view.

For instance, here’s how you would modify the first source in the current view to have an explicit retiming:

from rv import commands, extra_commands
view = commands.viewNode()
itemToRetime = 0
retimer = extra_commands.nodesInGroupOfType(view, "RVRetime")[itemToRetime]
commands.setIntProperty("%s.explicit.firstOutputFrame" % retimer, [1])
commands.setIntProperty("%s.explicit.inputFrames" % retimer, [1, 2, 5, 8, 30], True)
commands.setIntProperty("%s.explicit.active" % retimer, [1])

Cheers,
-Kessler

5 Likes

Hi Michael,

This looks perfect, thanks so much. I’ll try it out soon

Cheers,
Mike

3 Likes