Sgtk houdini alembic crashing in houdini 18.0

Hi guys, we would like to use Houdini 18.0.2… but Houdini is crashing when we create sgtk alembic node and then we click on Publisher. (I also updated all tk-houdini)

Do you have a same problem?

2 Likes

I’ll download the latest, check it out and get back to you!
Best
Phil

1 Like

I don’t appear to have a licence for 18 at the moment so I can’t test. I’ll bring it up with the team though.
Cheers
Phil

2 Likes

Hey Lukas

So it sounds like we don’t support 18 just yet. I’ll ticket this up, but as I can’t replicate it on my machine at the moment, do you get an error message at all, or is it just a straight crash of the application. Does an error get dumped to the logs?

And just to confirm the steps.

1. Launch Houdini 18 from SG Desktop
  2. Use workfiles to create a new file on a Task linked to a Shot.
  3. Save the scene via the save app.
  4. Create an alembic node.
  5. Start the publisher, and it crashes the whole of Houdini when it launches.

Is that right?
Thanks
Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,
it crashes straight.
Yes, that is correct.

2 Likes

When do you think you will have updated/supported all tk-houdini for houdini 18.?

1 Like

We usually keep on top of supporting the latest versions, but it’s too early to say yet when we would likely have a fix out.

1 Like

Hi Lukas

We got our licences sorted, and both myself and our QA tested this on Windows and it worked correctly, with out any crashes. So we’re not sure whats going on there, but we aren’t able to reproduce what you are seeing.

Are there any other details about your setup or process that might be important to reproducing this that you know of?

Best
Phil

1 Like

we use windows 10, the latest version of Houdini. 18.0.314. It happens even you try to launch SG publisher, or when you try to publish. etc. I can send you the crash log to your email, but there is not much stuff.

1 Like

Ok thanks Lucas please do send us a support ticket with the logs!

If anyone else reads this, I’d be interested to hear if anyone else is having similar issues.

1 Like

Thanks for sending in the log!

In addition to that, could you please confirm the following things?

• Does it only happen when a sgtk alembic node is present?
  • Have you modified the Houdini publish plugins at all?
  • You say you’ve updated tk-houdini to the latest, please can you just confirm the version number running in the session by going to the work area app?
  • Like wise which version of the tk-multi-publish2 app are you running?
  • What happens if you configure the app so that there are no publish plugins present, and take over and modify the collector so it doesn’t collect anything, does it still crash?

Thanks
Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Happy New Year.

It happens even sgtk alembic node is not there.

We modified only tk-houdini-alembicnode, I guess.

I think we did not modified Houdini publish.

We have tk-houdini v1.6.2 and it is same in the work area in houdini.

for tk-multi-publish2 we run v2.1.6 in houdini (I checked it out in work area). but we have installed v2.4.0.

So maybe that could be that problem. Do you know why has not been it updated automatically? or how to change it to v2.4.0?

Thanks.

1 Like

Happy new year to you too!

Ah OK, yeah v2.1.6 is pretty old (20 May 2018).

When you say installed, are you saying that your config is pointing to that version?
What does it say in your config’s app_locations.yml?

That does seem like it could be a promising lead.

It seems that…

apps.tk-multi-publish2.location:
type: app_store
name: tk-multi-publish2
version: v2.1.6

… has not been automatically changed when we did updates. Weird. Any idea why it was not changed with tank updates?

Anyway I am going to change the version manually for now.

When I updated version manually I got this window in Maya. I think this is not correct.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Hmm not sure. The tank updates should modify that if you ran it for everything. If you have a repeatable scenario where that happens, it would be good to see. I’ve not heard of any issues around the tank updates not working before.

This usually would appear if the collector didn’t find anything to publish. So I would check what context/environment you are in, confirm the publisher is set up correctly for that environment. Do you have a custom collector?

1 Like

Hmm not sure. The tank updates should modify that if you ran it for everything. If you have a repeatable scenario where that happens, it would be good to see. I’ve not heard of any issues around the tank updates not working before.

Ok.

This usually would appear if the collector didn’t find anything to publish. So I would check what context/environment you are in, confirm the publisher is set up correctly for that environment. Do you have a custom collector?

I fixed that problem.

So now we have the publisher 2.4.0 in Maya, Nuke and Houdini. Unfortunately Houdini is still crashing when I launch Publisher 2.4.0.

1 Like

Hi guys, any news about Houdini 18 and crashing when launching SG publisher? Thanks

Hi Lukas

As I mentioned in our support ticket together, we have a ticket in to test Houdini 18.
It is being currently worked on, and we have got a fix in progress for some dialog crashes. It’s possible that might help, we so far haven’t been able to reproduce the exact scenario you are seeing, but maybe the fix will help.
I’ll feed back here when it goes out.

Best
Phil

2 Likes

Hi Lukas

I’ve just been told that Houdini have released a new version (18.0.348), which includes some PySide fixes.

Could you try downloading that, hopefully, that might solve your issue? :crossed_fingers:
It’s solved the crashes we were seeing, so I’m hopeful.

We are still working towards a new release that fixes versions between 18 and 18.0.348.

Thanks
Phil

2 Likes