Software Icons missing after unchecking "Can see media download links"

Just noting that a slightly surprising side effect of unchecking that option on people entities is that software icons no longer appear in Shotgun Desktop. Its possible I didn’t notice this at first because the icons were already cached before the setting was unchecked.

2 Likes

Hi Rhea,

Thanks for the report, that does seem like a strange side-effect. Could you post a screenshot so we’re sure we’re looking at the right place as we attempt to repro? I thought all the icons for the different softwares like Maya, Nuke, etc. were image files included in the config, and shouldn’t need to be downloaded.

1 Like

@brandon.foster right! I’m referring specifically to icons uploaded to the “thumbnail” field in a software entity. Not sure how you can solved this except to create a new type of field.

1 Like

Ahh, I see what you mean. I’ll check with the team to see if there’s some way around this.

1 Like

Hello! Apologies for the delay on this one. I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue initially, but I figured it had to do with preexisting caches of the thumbnails. Figured out where the thumbnails are cached (in my case, ~/Library/Caches/Shotgun/tannaz/site/tm-launchapp/thumbs/85/60), removed that directory, ran it again, and was able to repro.

For the sake of completeness, it’s worth mentioning that this issue only comes up for Software whose thumbnail is uploaded to Shotgun (which of course stands to reason). So, in my case, the thumbnail disappears for ‘preview’, while I continue to get the default “rocket” icon for ‘chess’ and ‘textedit’ (these are all just tests, of course), and the thumbnails from the engine for Max, Houdini, etc.

Here are my Software entities:

And here’s what I’m seeing when I log into Desktop with a user who has the media downloads checkbox unchecked:

There should probably be some sort of exception made for the Software entity, and this is likely a fix that will require coordination between the Toolkit and web app teams. I’ll make sure it gets to the right place, and will report back when there’s news. Thanks for bringing this up, @Rhea_Fischer – good catch!

3 Likes