Studio backend

Hello,

I need to create a backend for my studio to do several things like a connection with local databases or some other in-house integrations and I would like to integrate the Shotguns tks with this backend.

How the best way to do that? I imagine it would be interesting for all tks to be able to import my library such as the tank or sgtk of tk-core.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @gvalderramos—asked around the team and @tannaz recommended checking out our Developer Day Shotgun Development series playlist where she and @bouchep cover things top to bottom, which should get you on your way.

If you have any specific or follow questions, drop them here!

Hey @johnny.duguid , thank you for your answer! I’ve watched but it has some time, so I will see again.

I think my question was a little more specifically as to what files or where should I put my backend for shotgun to recognize as a global toolkit like tk-core or what do I need to change in tk-core so that it recognizes my lib.

For example, I saw that in the tk-core/python folder there are three folders, the tank, sgtk and tank_vendor folder, if I put my lib in a 4th folder called for example my_lib, will all tk-core recognize it? Would I need to make a change at this level or is there an easier way to extend the functionality of tk-core?

Thanks!

1 Like

Great—thanks for the added details, they’ll help our experts chime in with more insights. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Gabriel! It sounds like you want to have some custom python modules included with your Toolkit pipeline configuration? The best way to do that is by putting your code in a custom Toolkit framework. Frameworks are collections of code that are not engine-specific, but aren’t app-specific either. We use frameworks internally for utility methods, Qt widgets, etc. But you can put any code in custom frameworks that you’d want to use outside of a specific app or engine.

You can learn more about custom framework development from this document.

4 Likes

It sounds nice @tannaz, thank you, I’ll try it!

Thank you :smile:

2 Likes

Great! Let us know how it goes :blush:

2 Likes