Thumbnails are only still frames for the Vendor account

Hi There,

I’m setting up some vendor accounts, and when I try to view my shots or tasks page as Vendor 1, for example, the thumbnails show up as still frames, instead of scrubbable clips. Also, I cannot click on them to view, annotate, etc. I’ve looked in permissions but don’t see anything obvious.

Any thoughts?

Thx,

Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting this to the community :slight_smile:

We will likely need to dive in to the specifics of your vendor permission setup, however when a permission group can only see a still thumbnail (whereas other permission groups see a scrubbable thumbnail) it is very likely due to the vendor permission group not having permission to see the file entity attached to that entity.

If we take the example of a version, A version record in Shotgun also has a file entity attached to it. Think of the version as the thing that holds all the metadata associated with that version, whereas the file is the actual movie file.

In Shotgun, permissions for both versions and files are actually handled differently. Because vendor permissions are a lot more restricted, you may hit a scenario where the vendor has permission to see the shot, version etc but doesn’t have permission to see the actual file (hence why theres, no scrubbable thumbnail or a clickable link)

That’s just a bit of background in case other folks encounter this issue, but either way if you can submit a new support ticket here with your specific Shotgun site and permission group name our team can dig into this for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Thanks, Andrew. I’m using the stock vendor account that comes with shotgun. I took a look at the entity permissions for file, etc, and they all seem to be set to see.

Thx,

A

Andy Milkis
Director of Visual Effects
Director of Technology
Logo
LVLY
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
t: 212-317-0077
e: andy@lvly.tv
lvly.tv
LinkedIn icon Instagram icon

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Just adding my 2cents here, the default vendor permission is set to only see versions where they are the in the created_by field or the artist field, one work around is to add the vendor that you want to be able to see the version as the artist and they should be able to see it. This will keep the strict version visibility permissions, but can work in a pinch if you only have a few versions that you want to share with the vendor.
Just to be clear this is a bit of a hack. :slight_smile:.

1 Like