Thumbnails export to excel

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of a tool or a macros fix in excel where when I export shots with thumbnails from shotgun, I can bring in the actual thumbnails rather than the url to the thumbnail, into the excel document as well??

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the Shotgun Community forum!

Unfortunately, we don’t have a way of exporting a contact sheet or thumbnails from Shotgun, out of the box. If you have some Pipeline TD resources, you could talk to them to see if they can create you an Action Menu using the Shotgun API that could do that for you.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Astrid

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca,

As Astrid mentions, unfortunately there is no system built into Shotgun for exporting thumbnails, but, the export does give you the url of the thumbnail file (in the format “/thumbnail/image/9”) so you could pipe that data into a script and pull down the thumbnails that way.

You could also use a 3rd party app that pulls the images form the page and downloads them to a folder, I’ve used this in production before and it’s probably the simplest option here. I’ve linked to one of the many browser plugins that can do this.

2 Likes

Hi David,

I followed your suggestion to use a the Image Downloader plugin, but the resulting jpg file names aren’t included in the Thumbnail URL in the Shotgun Excel/CSV export, which makes it hard to cross-reference. Any advice on this?

You should create your own AMI (Action menu item), which allow you to create Excel/CSV you need, just check which columns are displayed, search database for correct data by selected items ids, and in column where you need your thumbnail, use link to download it to buffer then put it as immage in file. I have same problem when I was making my report generator. But it generate Word file, I future i will add CSV exporetr for this. So if you are not hurry you can follow my github ;). Script is called by flask server (maybe i will change it for django) and started to downloading file via browser when it’s ready.

(in this script all comments are in Polish, so you need to translate them)

2 Likes