Using tk-softimage today, should we?

Hi there!

I got a request earlier today about implementing the tk-softimage engine into our pipeline. Reading the docs and scrolling down to Information for App Developers, I don’t get super excited. I did some quick tests and I was able to launch Softimage but the workfiles app did not launch at all.

Basically my question is:
Does anyone have experience with using this engine today? We’re on the Windows, using the latest apps and engines, using distributed configs, and have Softimage 2015 installed. Am I just gonna waste my time trying to get it to work?

I should probably add that I don’t have any experience with Softimage so sorry if I’m asking about something obvious…

Cheers,
Jonas

4 Likes

Hi Jonas

I’m not sure if this helps to much as it’s been removed from our configs for a long time, but here is an old version of the tk-config-default where it is added:

Looks like it was probably never updated to work with workfiles2, so that is something you would need to do.

Best
Phil

4 Likes

Funnily enough I just had the same question.

@philip.scadding
Actually, when I added the qtframework to the frameworks.yml and tried tank install_engine project tk-softimage I found this instead::

tk-multi-workfiles: ‘@workfiles2

So it seems it did, at some point work with workfiles2?

2 Likes

Ah your right, good catch, I focused on looking at the config, but workfiles2 does have a Softimage hook. Sorry about that. As for if it is still working I have no idea.

Hmm, Ill have a look further, maybe can get it to work :smiley:

As the docs say, as far as I understand, the workfiles app adds the ssl libs so does that mean that softimage will never run into the tls issue that other software ran into?

1 Like