RV-2021.0.0 Unable to launch on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Hi all! I was wondering if there is a list of supported Linux distributions to install RV in?

I am having trouble launching RV on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, because it needs a dependency which is not compatible with the linux version:

rv
/home/gabita/Downloads/rv-centos7-x86-64-2021.0.0/bin/rv.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The libgcrypt11 package is not available for Ubuntu 20 (see here) and installing libgcrypt20 does not solve the problem.

Does this mean that I have to use Ubuntu 18?

Hi Gabriela,

We strongly suggest to use CentOS7 on Linux. Everything should work without any blocking dependency issue on that OS.

Thanks,
Ian

Another note @benteveo, with the latest announcements about CentOS, we are investigating what our next step will be for supported Linux versions. We’ll be sure to update Release Notes as a decision is made on this.

Cheers,
Kevin

3 Likes

(We’re currently evaluating PopOS (Ubuntu) 20.04)

2 Likes

Hi,
Does it mean there is no way to install RV on Ubuntu 20.04?
I tried and get errors with libgcrypt.so.11 and libTwkMovie.so…
No workaround that anyone found?
Thank you.

Wouldn’t it be as simple as having a second build variant that links against libgcrypt.so.20 instead of libgcrypt.so.11?

For the price of ShotGrid this should be something subscribers can reasonably expect.

cheers

1 Like

Is there any update on getting RV installed for Ubunto 20? Switching to a different OS simply to run one piece of software doesn’t seem like a reasonable solution.

1 Like

Try installing today using Pop! OS (Ubuntu based), I manage to install it by :

• manual copy libgcrypt
  • remove libfreetype6

but got following error

/opt/rv-centos7-x86-64-2021.1.0/bin/rv
/opt/rv-centos7-x86-64-2021.1.0/bin/rv.bin
Version 2021.1.0, built on Jun 18 2021 at 14:29:38 (HEAD=cd9559a). (L)
Copyright (c) 2021 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.
[1]    11412 segmentation fault (core dumped)  /opt/rv-centos7-x86-64-2021.1.0/bin/rv